Friday, March 11, 2011

The Preschool Passoff

Starting Monday, Hyrum will go to a new preschool. Since September he has been attending Marimor preschool as a typically developing student (Marimor is a wonderful institution in our area that services children with special needs--they have a great preschool where they invite typical students to be apart of their classroom). Anyway, Hyrum has done well there. He knows all of his alphabet (with minimal help from me unfortunately), he loves talking about the days of the week ("What's today, Mom?" he always asks--although if it's evening and you say it's Friday, he'll say, "No, today is tonight; it's not Friday), and he loves writing the letter H. He would also love to write the rest of his name, but unfortunately, his hand shakes. He has been diagnosed as having familial tremors. We have been told not to make an issue of it so that he won't become self-conscious, but it does affect how he is able to write and do fine motor tasks. So, on his teacher's recommendation, we had Hyrum tested and got him qualified for some occupational therapy (I think both of my older boys would have benefited from this, and they don't have any tremors). The bad thing is that because he will receive services, he no longer qualifies as a typical student and will now have to attend a different school. The new place that he will go to is just around the corner and is a very good program, so we're excited, but it is a little sad to move on so suddenly.

Because of this change, I have to write my favorite memory of Hyrum being at Marimor. One day I went to pick Hyrum up from school, and his teacher said, "Hyrum really loves you." I was happy that she felt that way and asked why she said that. She said that day he was just sitting at the table waiting for me to come and pick him up and said, "I love my mom. My mom is my girl." 

I love being my Hyrum's girl.

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Melissa - Is he going to Allen County Educational Service Center? That's where Seth went and we loved it!

Melissa Monday said...

That is where he is going, Ronda. I remember that I almost sent Thobe there. I am really impressed and am excited about the change.