Monday, March 7, 2011

Alden's Baptism

Yes...I'm way behind on my blogging. I've had a very busy summer, which I will write a post about here shortly...hopefully. But in the mean time, I want to make sure I blog about a very significant event that happened on July 3, 2010, in the life of our family--Alden was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (By the way, I wrote some of this back in August).

About a year prior to Alden's baptism, we discussed with him where we might do his baptism. Knowing that most of our family that are members of the church live in Utah, we thought it might be nice to have his baptism in Utah. When we asked him about it and told him that we didn't know if all our family would be able to be there if we had it in Ohio, he said, "I think I'd like to do it Ohio because if my friends see me get baptized, maybe they'll want to get baptized too." So, Michael, Alden, and I began planning his baptism for Ohio, and all our family out in Utah began planning their trip to Ohio to see him get baptized.

From a mom's perspective, I have to say that Alden is undoubtedly one of the most incredible kids I've ever met. I don't know of a boy that is more eager to please than he is. He loves to please Michael and me and he loves to please God. I really felt like his decision to be baptized was his decision was one that he took very seriously. I am so amazed with Alden and feel so thankful that he's my son. I really wanted it to be special day for him, and I really felt like it was.

All my family was there. All of Michael's family was there, including one of his uncles and several of Michael's cousins. We also had a lot of close friends who came as well. When Alden's baptism started, I sat up by Michael and Alden and looked out at the crowd of people who were in attendance. I thought, "Wow, this is what heaven must be like." It was so wonderful to be surrounded by so many people that have had a significant influence in our lives. I hope that all of us can be together in heaven someday.

Alden's baptism program went without a hitch. My mom spoke on baptism, and Michael's mom spoke on the Holy Ghost. Both talks were touching and poignant. My mom shared the story of breaking her leg a few weeks before Alden's baptism. She was so worried that she wouldn't be able to come out for his baptism because the doctor said that she might have to have surgery. At the beginning of June, Alden fasted and prayed that his Grandma's leg would heal so that she could come to his baptism. The Tuesday after his fast, my mom went in to the doctor, and he said that her leg had healed enough that she would not need surgery. What a miracle!

Alden was then baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was given the gift of the Holy Ghost following the baptism.

I'm so grateful that Alden is my son and that he made this choice to be baptized. What a blessing it is to our family.

I am posting the video that we showed at Alden's baptism. It was a letter that I wrote to Alden that summarized the first eight years of his life and explains why we get baptized in our church.

You can see this video by clicking on the following link:
Alden's Baptism Video

2 comments:

Becca said...

This is a great post, Melissa! He really does sound like an incredible boy. I am so glad you were blessed to be surrounded by family for that special event--there really is nothing better.

Julie said...

Melissa,

What a wonderful video for Alden. Thank you so much for sharing. It was beautiful.