Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Birthday, Thobe!!!

Thobe is so amazing to me!!! He really has got to be one of the smartest kids I've ever met. He is constantly saying things and doing things that amaze me. Last Sunday, he turned six years old. I can't believe that he's six now. The Friday before his birthday, we took ice cream sandwiches to everyone in his class and they sang "Happy Birthday" to him. On his birthday, we got up and had breakfast together and gave him his new suit. He looked so sharp and grown up in it! Then we went to church where the Primary sang, "Happy Birthday" to him. After church we had some friends over who ate dinner with us and ate his Mario birthday cake with him. Then we drove up to Toledo so that Thobe could open his presents with Grandpa and Abuelita, and Michael and I could go to seminary graduation. We didn't mean to make him wait all day to open his gifts, but it was just one of those days. I think he had a great day, regardless of all our running around. Yesterday (Saturday) we rented a gymnastics gym and invited a bunch of his friends to come and play with him for a birthday party. He got a lot of great gifts and was so happy to have so many of his friends there to play with him. I was so bummed that I forgot my camera. Oh well.

I have to say that I'm so happy with the boy Thobe is and all that he is doing. He loves telling stories about Mario and Luigi and is always talking about them. He also loves going outside and playing any kind of sport. He has really improved in his running. He is getting to be a fast runner and loves to play giant tag with his friends at school. He also loves eating new things. He ate frog legs at a Chinese buffet the other day and will always try things. He doesn't like spaghetti or lasagna or tasagna (Michael always says that Thobe likes tasagna, and Thobe gets irritated and says" Tasagna doesn't make any sense"). He is a very messy eater though, as evidenced by the picture from Alden's birthday party and the picture below.

He also says and does the funniest things. We've been seeing a urologist with Thobe who has had us do different things with him to get all his "pipes" working properly. As I explained what would happen with the enema, I told him that it would kind of make it so that we'd just start all over again. He looked at me with a bit of concern on his face and asked, "Am I going to be a baby again?" I assured him that he we wouldn't go that far back and that he would be fine. A few weeks ago, we were going to the temple. Thobe had been talking a lot about relay racing. He said to me, "Mom, girls' relay racing is a little bit weird, isn't it?" Trying to suppress the male chauvinism that I assume comes from being in a family of all boys, I of course told Thobe that I didn't think it was weird and asked him why he thought it was weird. He then corrected himself by saying, "Well, girls' relay racing is a little bit weird and a little bit gorgeous." That really made me laugh.

Several days later, he was talking to me about racing again and telling me how he and his classmates were going to race. He yelled out, "And here come the 5 year olds." Then he announced that the seven year olds were coming out onto the field too. Then quizzically, he asked, "Mom, how old are you?" After I told him, he announced, "Here come the 35 year olds!" I couldn't help but laugh and I thought about a bunch of 35 year old women running onto a field to run a race.

Thobe loves his brothers so much and is especially close to Alden. I really think that Alden is Thobe's best friend in the whole world and that the feeling is mutual. He also loves Hyrum and Jacob too. The other morning, I was listening to Thobe and Hyrum talk. Hyrum gave Thobe a big hug and said, "I love you too, Thobe." Thobe hugged Hyrum back and said, "Thanks, Hyrum. I love you!" Thobe is soooo good with Jacob. He really tries to keep him safe and happy.

He also says things that amaze me. Back in March (yes, it's been that long since I've blogged) we went to a Utah Jazz vs. Indiana Pacers basketball game. When we were driving home, Thobe said, "Hey, there's a German flag!" Neither Michael nor I saw the flag, so Michael asked him what colors the were on the German flag. Thobe said, "Black, Red, Yellow." Several weeks later, we were at Michael's parents' house. Warren gave the boys a dime for helping him pick up sticks, and Chris reminded them, "Don't forget to pay your tithing. Thobe responded, "I can't pay my tithing cause I only have one coin--oh wait, if I had 10 pennies, I could pay one of them for my tithing." I don't know when he learned to do percentages, but somewhere he did. He is such a good reader. He can read verses in the Book of Mormon with little to no help. The other day, he brought home a Froggy book and read almost the entire book to us without help as well. I'm constantly amazed at the things he can do.

He is so tender hearted. He hates to upset me or Michael and tries so hard to do what is right. The other day, Michael was telling him that Nicaragua is a country. In school they had been talking about the country and cities. In his mind, Nicaragua had more cities than countries and when Michael told him Nicaragua was a country, he got really upset and said, "Are you kidding me??? Are you kidding me????" He worries a lot about robbers, but I remember that I did too. I hope that he can always feel safe and happy here at home. I love him so much and am so glad that he's my son.

0 comments: