Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Adventurous Christmas Spontaneity

I should have known when I married Michael that life would never be dull or predictable. After all, it was only four weeks before he asked me to marry him that he told me he thought we should date other people. Little did I know that only two weeks after he told me that, that he would be on the telephone telling me how much he missed me and couldn't wait to see me again. Don't get me wrong; I still get butterflies in my stomach when I think of the excitement I felt when he told me this, but like I said, it should have been a clear sign to me that life would be somewhat, well, unpredictable.

So as I stated in my last post, we planned to spend Christmas in Ohio. Originally, we planned to spend it with Michael's parents, but they had an opportunity to go to Utah to spend it with Michelle (Michael's sister), and so they did it. I was really happy that they went because it's been a long time since they went there for Christmas, but I must admit that I was a little bummed because I've never spent Christmas without extended family. We did a lot of things to compensate though. We flew my parents out to spend eight wonderful days with us prior to Christmas, we planned parties that were going to be held at our house with a lot of friends, we bought Christmas cards that were ready to be addressed and written on, and we planned to make goodies and treats and start our own Christmas traditions. With many of our plans underway and many of the supplies purchased, Michael called me the Friday before Christmas and said, "What do you think of driving to Utah for Christmas. I have a few days off that if I don't use I will burn."

I wondered if he was crazy. We had made a lot of plans, and I knew that a lot of storms were brewing around the country, but the thought of going to Utah for Christmas, I must admit, made me really excited. We decided that we wouldn't tell anyone, not even the kids, and if the weather looked okay, then we would go. So on Friday, we cancelled our parties, made our family video Christmas greeting, and wrote a few Christmas cards. On Saturday, we finished our Christmas greeting, ran errands, wrote more Christmas cards, and tried to tiddy the house (an impossible feat with Hyrum around). On Sunday after church, we made Christmas treats and took them around to neighbors and friends and that night looked at the weather report. It was so bad that on Monday, I woke up sure that we were not going to go. I got out of bed and prayed that if we were supposed to go or if we would be safe that things could fall into place and that Michael and I could both feel good about going. Michael got up and got the car in for a quick oil change, and I got the house cleaned. Michael called me and asked what the weather looked like. Everything actually looked surprisingly clear, especially if we timed everything right. It looked like if we made it through Missouri the first day and to Denver the second day, that the weather was going to cooperate. I quickly got things packed, Michael grabbed a lot of snacks for the road, and we were on our way around 2:00.

The boys had no idea where we were going. We told them that we were going to a hotel, which always makes them very excited. We put up our portable dvd playe
r, and when Hyrum saw the screen turn on, he exclaimed "TV!" He loves watching the TV. They were entertained, and Michael drove like a mad man, obeying the speed limit the entire way of course (seriously). At 2:00 a.m. (Eastern time) we arrived in Topeka, Kansas, where we stopped for the night. The next morning we were on the road again around 10:00 a.m. (Central time). Prior to leaving, we prayed that God would protect us and allow the weather to cooperate, and then I began driving. Michael was asleep and the kids were watching a show and a very peaceful feeling came over me. I looked up in the sky, and it looked as though five big fingers were pushing the clouds away and clearing the way for us to travel in safety. I know that God heard our prayer and protected us. We did meet a little snow just before we got to Denver, and the mountain pass between Denver and Grand Junction had a lot of snow on the road, but we were safe.

The next morning, Christmas Eve, we got up and ate breakfast in Gran
d Junction where a girl dressed as an elf served us. The boys had all kinds of questions for her about Santa Claus. After eating breakfast, we drove the rest of the way to Utah. Alden asked several times, "Where are we going?" We told him that he would soon find out. When we were driving through the beautiful desert mountains of Eastern Utah, Thobe exclaimed, "We're in the Mountain West!" Can you tell that Michael watches a lot of football? We also stopped in Cedar City to return our Red Box movies and take the the kids to the bathroom. Alden was aghast with all the Utah license plates that he was seeing. I was shocked that it didn't dawn on him that we were in Utah. When we finally arrived at my parents' house, Alden exclaimed, "We're at Grandpa and Grandma's house? WE'RE AT GRANDPA AND GRANDMA'S HOUSE! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE COULD DRIVE HERE!!!!" (He's only driven cross country at least 5 times). My sister Laura, who told Santa the previous Saturday that all she wanted for Christmas was for us to be there, saw us out the back door. She ran outside crying because she was so happy to see us. We then went to the door step and started caroling. I told my sister Diane previouslly that we were coming in case we had any problems, so she got my parents to answer the door. My mom opened it and feel against the door with a shocked look on her face. She then also started crying. All my nieces and nephews started hugging us and screaming with delight. My dad just stared at us unbelievingly. My other sisters were shocked and gave us big hugs. My mom immediately called my brother, who wasn't planning on coming until the next day. He and his wife canceled their plans and came right away. It was really wonderful to meet my newest nephew Joseph (or Joviss as Diane's little boy Bridger calls him). It was a Christmas I don't think I'll ever forget. It really is wonderful to be so loved by so many people.


That night Emily and I made Nativitiy costumes, and we read the Christmas story from the Bible. My mom gave us each a book that she made, complete with pictures, that told the story of her and my dad and how much they love each of their kids and grandkids. It was beautiful and must have been so much work for her! She also gave the kids a picture of her and my dad to hang on their wall. Then we got the kids to bed and after such a long day, I felt sick and was exhausted. My sisters were so good to wrap all of Michael's presents from me and all of the kids' presents while I laid on the couch and moaned. I'm so grateful for them!

The next morning was so much fun. As it always is in my mo
m's house, Christmas was magical. The kids had so much fun opening their presents, and with twelve little kids in the house, after all the presents were opened, my mom and dad's big family room looked like a toy store. Hyrum was having a hay day! With ten of the twelve grandkids being boys, there was a lot of light saber fighting, gun shooting, and yelling, but a whole lot of fun too. I'm so happy that my boys love their cousins so much. Alden, Davin, and Noah were inseparable as were James and Thobe. What a great blessing family is!

While I was there I was able to see my thoughtful friend, Lisa Alger. She is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. She also brought me a very cool gift that must have taken here hours to make. I really appreciate her friendship. I also got to spend a lot of time with my family, and even though I felt sick for much of the time I was there (unfortunately), I loved every minute of it.

On Sunday after church, we loaded up the van and headed up to Michael's sister's house. T
hey didn't know that we were coming either, so we decided that for them, we would put Alden in a box and address it to his cousins. Michael rang the door bell, and we hid in some bushes. Our oldest nephew, Ethan, answered the door. He saw that the box was coming open, so he pushed it shut. He was very surprised when the present said, "Ouch!" Ethan immediately, opened the box and was reprimanded by Alden. Ethan then went and got the whole family, and they were completely startled to see Alden and the rest of us. They too were so excited and happy.

We had
such a nice time with them too. We were able to go to a Jazz game and a BYU basketball game. We also had a lot of fun going out to dinner, watching movies, playing video games, watching Utah win their bowl game (Michelle, Eric, and I were cheering for Utah while Michael cheered against them), and just sitting around talking. The boys loved playing with their cousins and were enamored with Elijah. Thobe even let him do his hair, just like Elijah's. We really had such a wonderful trip. I was able to see Shirley and Lora Monson and her family and our family went and had dinner with the family of an old roommate of Michael's, Andy Hill. There were a lot more people I would have liked to see, but we did what we could. It was really a great trip!

Our trip home went without a hitch as well. I'm so grateful for God's protective care and the family that he's blessed me with. I truly am very blessed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need your email address :) Dylan is a new daddy, his boy turned one in December. He has a super sweet wife and is living in Hurricane, I think doing welding. They have a house out there. He is a great dad and husband I am so proud of him!

Anonymous said...

Love the lightsaber...Teresa just let me introduce Porter to the real Star Wars. I'm so excited!

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

I'm so glad you were able to have such a great Christmas surrounded by family and friends! I am so spoiled having my family nearby...and often feel for those who don't have such a luxury.

Leigh said...

How fun and how blessed to travel so safely amidst all the crazy weather. What a memorable Christmas.

Romy said...

Sounds like your family had a lot of fun for Christmas. I'm sure you made your parent's day by surprising them.