Friday, January 16, 2009

Life after a our Christmas Adventure

As much as I loved our Christmas vacation, I must admit that getting home was nice too. I especially enjoyed sleeping in my own bed. However, our transition back into normal life has had a few minor challenges. Since we returned to Ohio we've gotten nearly a foot of snow and it has been terribly cold (at 8:00 this morning it was 17 below zero). This type of weather leaves me shivering in my boots. The weather hasn't been a big deal, but we've had a few issues with the kids that have caused us some minor concern. For example, Alden has struggled with doing is work at school. He's a very smart boy, but for whatever reason, he often has to stay in for recess to finish his worksheets. While I think there may be some underlying problems beyond Alden himself, I also feel strongly that we need to teach Alden that despite the challenges or difficulties that he needs to "take the bull by the horns" (for lack of a better phrase) and focus on doing his work. We've come up with a rewards system that is we think is motivating to him, but so far, well, he has room for a whole lot of improvement. Despite this frustration, I love this little guy so much. He really does want to please Michael and me and has such a creative imagination. It's so fun to watch all the new things he can do and all the new responsibilities that he's beginning to take on.

Since returning from Utah, Thobe, for some unknown reason, has decided that he doesn't need to use the toilet any more. I have bemoaned on this blog numerous times about our potty training woes with Thobe. Just before we left on our trip, I thought that we had made it over that horrible potty hill and were seeing new horizons. Little did I know that we would somehow get turned around and head down that path all over again. I must admit that this causes me more consternation than most things in my life right now, but that's the way it goes. If there is anyone out there who has any advice for why this might be happening and what I can do, I'm certainly open to suggestions. I am also willing pay big bucks to send him to a potty training boot camp, if such a thing exists. I will also send Hyrum too. I am a complete failure at potty training children (just for the record, Alden is potty trained, but I credit that completely to Michael, Luke Skywalker, and Yoda).

That being said, I must also say that Thobe can make me smile quicker than almost anyone. He loves giving hugs and kisses and says the funniest things. He loves being like Alden and tries for a little while to be really patient with Hurricane Hyrum. He is also very serious and loves going to his preschool. I am constantly amazed with all the things he says and does and have been especially impressed with how well he is speaking Spanish these days.

Hyrum has been a bit more clingly since we returned. I don't know if he's worried I'll leave or what, but he always has to have a tab on where I am. He also has really gotten into his tempertantrums lately, which are so much fun. For whatever reason, he often takes his aggression out on Thobe. When Hyrum wants to steal Thobe's toys, Thobe will often take the toys that he's playing with and run away from Hyrum. Hyrum takes off after him, and when he catches him, he wraps his arms around Thobe's waist, literally picks him up, and throws him to the ground. I didn't know I was raising a WWF wrestler, but I am disappointedly impressed with all of Hyrum's strength. He's a crazy cat. As I often say though, he is so, so sweet. I love how he can light up a room with his smile. He has the funniest sense of humor and is really loving, even to Thobe (at least when they're not fighting over the same toys). He is saying so many new words now and always has us laughing. The other night Michael asked the boys what would happen if Hyrum turned into an alligator. As soon as he asked the question, Hyrum shot out his hand, clapped his thumb to his fingers and yelled, "Snap, Snap, Snap" over and over again. We all laughed. I love the close relationship the two of us share and am so grateful for him, even when he's clinging. I just keep reminding myself that this doesn't last forever and that I need to enjoy it while I can.

Life for us really is good. It's easy to look at my minor problems worries and think that my life is really challenging. It doesn't take long though to look around me and see that there are a lot of people who have much worse challenges than I do. When I think about it, I become very grateful for the challenges that I have and realize that my ]life is really wonderful. I have a knowledge that God lives and is aware of me and loves m\e, a really wonderful husband, incredible children, a supportive and loving extended family, and a lot of really great friends, some of which I recently came into contact with after a long time. I'm so thankful for all my blessings and hope that I can show my gratitude, not by complaining, as I've done in this post, but by helping and serving others as so many have done and continually do for me. Life after my Christmas adventure is still a great adventure, not without its challenges, but rich and full and splendid.

3 comments:

Janeece said...

I so feel your potty training woes...we are entering that territory with Daxton now. Just think even with all the challenges kids bring into our lives how empty we would be without them! It is also nice to know that you are not alone in your trials...we are all going through similiar! WWF..well I have a future bull rider/wrestler on my hands...wanna trade?

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

Melissa, being the mother of four boys myself and going through similar potty training woes, I will pass along the wisdom once shared with me..."You won't be sending them on their missions peeing and pooping their pants." Now, honestly there were days that I questioned the validity of that statement. There is nothing like watching a herd of children run screaming from a Mcdonald's playplace because your child has taken it upon himself once again to poop and pee his pants in the tunnels. :0) After trying everything under the sun, and experiencing more frustration then I thought humanly possible...I simply gave up the power struggle and said to him, "If you poop or pee your pants, you will clean it all up." If he made a mess of the toilet in the process...he cleaned it. He put the dirties in the wash. He got in the shower and cleaned his essentials. It was all him. When he finally figured out that he had complete control...the accidents began to dissipate. Sometimes, they want to have something that they and only they control over. Maybe you have already heard these things who knows. But know this for certain, you do not stand alone in your potty training woes...boys are difficult to train. Sometimes taking until they are 4 and 5. It'll pass by before you know it :)

Julie said...

Melissa,

I loved reading your blog. I just need to call you and catch up :) Sounds like a fun, spontaneous trip to UT! :) We love that kind of adventure.