Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Cacophony

The other day Thobe woke up at the break of dawn with Alden. While I tried to get Alden ready for school, they were running all over the house talking loudly about the Buckeyes and Star Wars and who knows what else. When Hyrum wakes up early like that, he is a bear to be reckoned with. He's horrible, so of course, I wanted to keep my loud yappers quiet. It didn't happen, but fortunately, Hyrum slept through the chaos. That night, we ran a few errands. When we got in the car, the incessant chattering began. Michael turned on some music hoping to quiet the noise, but unfortunately, it only worsened things. All the boys, including Hyrum, started singing in their loudest voices making silly variations to the songs. Despite the ringing in my ears that was caused by all the noise, I couldn't help but laugh at their crazy variations to "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," "Old MacDonald," and "Three Blind Mice." I must admit that I was somewhat relieved to step into the cold Ohio weather to run one of my errands. When I got back out to the car, Thobe and Hyrum were sleeping soundly, and Alden was quietly working on something that Michael gave him.

We ran the rest of our errands in peaceful quietness and softly talked about our lives and our crazy little boys. Despite the cacophony that our boys make, Michael and I both appreciate the happiness that accompanies it. What a wonderful thing it is to see children who are truly happy! I love how they happily play together (for the most part) and how even when they get in trouble that they still are happy. God really does want us to be happy. When he says that he wants us to be as little children, he means it. Not only are they loving, teachable, and forgiving, they also find joy in life, even when things are hard. I'm so grateful for my little ones who remind me to be happy and to enjoy life. I'm so grateful that God has blessed me with happy cacophony.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Melissa,
Thanks for this post. This makes me miss you all so much and wish you could have stayed longer at Christmas. Give the boys a big hug from their Aunt Emily okay.
Love you.

kieran said...

You are such a great mom. I loved reading this post, I feel like this is my life too. The loudness, and the craziness. I'm always telling them to slow down, and to be quiet. I forget that they aren't crying, or beating each other up. I should be happy too right? They are little children who are happy and they are enjoying life. I should be the one learning the lesson. I should be running around and being crazy and having fun. I will try harder...thank you!