Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Alden's Funny Comments



It's so weird watching my 7 year old son grow up before my eyes. He's really becoming a regular independent person. In so many ways, it makes me so sad. My first baby boy is growing up. He doesn't need me for everything that he does. In a lot of ways, the whole idea of him and all my boys for that matter growing up makes me feel sad. However, I'm also loving this too. I love that he has independent thoughts and, as annoying as it sometimes is, he often questions my ideas or my way of doing things. The best part of watching this transformation is that I have a few glimpses as to what Alden might be as an adult. I know he has a long road ahead of him that is filled with potholes and detours that could lead him down a different path, but I have to say that I am very pleased with the person that my little boy is becoming. He tries to be honest and kind and obedient. Granted, the obedience thing will get a lot better if he can ever learn to listen well, but I keep reminding myself that listening is a skill that is developed over time and that you can't change someone's heart, and Alden has a very good heart. I love his sweet prayers and his undaunted faith. He is an amazing kid.


School is going so well for Alden. I can't believe the dramatic difference from last year to this year. He is like a different person. I LOVE his teacher this year. She recognizes Alden's strengths and is working patiently with him on his weaknesses. I feel so incredibly blessed to have Mrs. Hempleman as Alden's second grade teacher. She is amazing. You can tell that she loves teaching, that she loves her students, and that she wants to see them be successful. Teaching is literally her mission in life. I think she's incredible. She has really instilled in Alden the importance of doing his best. Alden started taking piano lessons this year (this is something I'm so excited about--I love sitting down with him while he practices and playing duets with him--it's one of my favorite times of day).  The other day he was practicing, and I said, "Alden you need to try to do your best on this--blah blah, blah blah blah blah." Alden replied in a very sweet manner, "Mom, I always try to do be my best. I'm just not very good at this, but even on things I'm not very good at, I always try to do my best."


He is incredible with his brothers. He and Thobe are the best of friends, and even though, Alden can be a bit bossy with him, he is also very good to him too. He's kind and patient with Hyrum, and he dotes over Jacob like crazy. As soon as Jacob sees Alden his face lights up, and he starts smiling and kicking and moving around. Alden is also very close to Michael. He loves his dad more than just about anything in the world (except maybe for Star Wars--Alden is always talking about some fact from the Star Wars saga and often drives me crazy with all his shooting noises--yesterday when the bus dropped the boys off, I opened the door to find Alden lying on the ground. Concerned I asked him what was wrong, and he told me that he was pretending that he'd just been shot by a battle droid). I know I've mentioned this before, but Michael has seminary in our basement on Friday. Alden and Thobe love joining Michael's class. One morning the boys didn't have school on Friday, so Michael gave a half hearted effort to wake the boys up. When they didn't respond, he went downstairs and had seminary. Shortly after everyone went home, Alden woke up. Michael told him that he tried to wake him up, but when he didn't wake up he decided to just let him sleep. Alden was very disappointed and said, "Dad next time, if I don't wake up, just kick me, okay?" Michael told him that he wouldn't kick him.

Alden also played soccer this fall. I couldn't believe how well he played. On his last game, he was incredible. It's fun to watch him improve athletically too. I don't think he'll ever be a star athlete, but I do think that he'll be able to hold his own.

1 comments:

Bryce said...

It's fun to see your boys growing. I love the stories that you have posted about them. The football story made me almost roll on the floor.