Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Last Day of School


Thursday, May 28, 2009, was a very eventful day in the Monday house. It was both Alden and Thobe's last day of school. Both boys were excited about wrapping up their year, although we still haven't convinced Thobe that he's done with preschool, despite having a preschool graduation. Michael had a few things come up, so he was unable to attend the Thobe's graduation. Hyrum and I arrived at the school shortly before the graduation began. When I got there, I saw Thobe standing in the hall with his best friend Travis Ebbescotte in a cap and gown. I must admit that for whatever reason this really caught me off guard. I felt a big lump form in my throat as I saw my handsome newly five year old all decked out in graduation attire. Time passes so quickly!

Trying to take video of the "ceremony" was next to impossible with Hyrum. He kept running up and down the aisles and found the plastic stars that were placed on the floor to show the kids which way to go. He picked all of them up and brought them to me. "Stars" he said, and then began chewing on them--I'm not sure how he stays healthy. When Thobe's teacher gave him a special award, I wanted to record that too. Unfortunately, Hyrum in his running around caught his fingers in the door, so I missed Thobe's special award too. All in all, it was a great experience though. I really can't say enough good about Thobe's preschool experience. Thobe loved his teachers, Miss Laura and Miss Barb. Hyrum loved Miss Barb and was so excited to see her everytime we dropped Thobe off at school. Often when he's sad, Hyrum will say, "I want Barb!"

After the graduation, we ran over to Alden's school to speak to his teacher, Mrs. Erickson, about next year. She showed me Alden's Dibel's reading scores. I must admit that I was really impressed with his improvements (he was doing well at the beginning of the year and is doing even better now). I am also thankful for the things that she has done this year too.

When the kids got home from school, I just felt a happy euphoria. I am certainly the kind of mom that loves having her kids at home. I love spending time with them and find such pleasure in watching them learn and grow. I'm really excited about this summer. I'm looking forward to doing things with the kids and just having them home. Don't get me wrong. I'm especially excited about not having to get up at 6:00 a.m. to get Alden on the bus, but I'm just looking forward to summer. I must admit that I think I might be more excited about the break than the kids are. We'll see.

That night, we quickly fed the missionaries, and then, we rushed off to Alden's first baseball game. He did really well. He is the youngest kid on his team and all his teammates played last year while he did not, but considering this, he is really doing well. I love watching his excitement.

After that, we went over to the Burke's house to watch the Cavs' game. Alden loves Adam and Alyse, the Burke's eight and seven year olds. He and Alyse were almost inseparable. We were there pretty late, and I realized when we left that Alyse had her jammies on. I asked Alden if he left the room when she changed. He said, "No, but I turned my head like this and closed my eyes, Mom." I began telling him the importance of boys not being in the same room with girls when they change their clothes. I said, "Alden, until you're married, you need to make sure that you always leave the room when a girl changes her clothes."

"Oh," he said. Then he added, "But Mom, I might marry Alyse, so it's okay, right?"

We explained that he just needs to make sure that until he's married that he needs to leave the room when a girl is changing. I love my Alden and all his innocence. I am so blessed to have three incredible boys. We're excited to see what the next baby is and what his or her personality is like. I only have 25 more days until he or she makes his or her debut. We're getting excited!!!!

6 comments:

Becca said...

Hello, Thobe's teacher is a cutie! Nowonder he loves her. That Alsen looks more and more gangly every time I see a picture of him. You're right--they do grow up too fast!

Kristi said...

We just love your whole family. I don't think we have ever found another family where every single member gets along so well. I completely agree with being more excited than my kids about school being out. I get spring fever every year since I was a Sophomore in high school.

Oh, by the way - your talk yesterday was amazing. I loved it!!!

Melissa Workman MacPherson said...

How fun to get an update on your family! I am trying to think when was the last time we actually saw each other! Too long apparently! I hope all is well with you and your beautiful family!

Lisa Alger said...

Great times!! Glad to hear that things are going well. You have such a beautiful family.

Linds said...

I love your blog too Melissa! Your boys are growing up so much! Birthdays and graduation... good grief! :) I love the story of Alden with his little girl friend... "but I might marry her, so it's okay, right?" lol

Kira said...

Ohh my...the picture of Thobe in a graduation gown is too cute!!! I didn't know they got kids that decked out for preschool graduation. I love it!