Thursday, February 12, 2009

Potty Help

I made a vow to myself the other day that I was going to stop talking about my frustration with Thobe using the potty; however, something happened the other night that I couldn't resist writing here.

Tuesday, Thobe had a very bad day with using the bathroom. I won't bore you or gross you out with all the details, but let's just say that after the fourth accident at 3:00, I was beside myself and made him go up to his room, put on pull-ups and jammies, and sit in his room his room for the rest of the night. He broke my heart when he told me how sorry he was, so I would periodically go and spend time reading with him and talking with him, so he wouldn't have to be all alone all that time.

Anyway, I'm digressing. When Michael got home, Thobe came down and ate dinner with us and then he and I went back up stairs and read some books. Then it was time for Thobe to go to sleep. He thought of everything he could to stall bedtime. His last resort was his best tatic.

"Mom," he said softly, "Can we say a prayer?"

"Sure, Thobe. Why don't you say it?"

He began his prayer and thanked God for each member of his family and then started to end his prayer. I thought that this would be a good opportunity for him to pray for help with all his bathroom woes, so I reminded him to ask for help by saying, "Please help me that I can go to the potty."

Thobe paused for a few minutes (I know now that the pause was because he was confused). He then said, "Please help Mommy that she can go to the potty."

I guess it's nice that I can have a little extra help too.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

I'm so sorry that it has been such a struggle. Best of luck.

saskia said...

how old is he? I just wait until they are ready. And even then there are bumps in the road. Then of course it stops one day and all the stress doesn't matter anymore.

Becca said...

Melissa--I'm sure you COULD use some help. I mean, you have had three kids . . . :)

Cute story.

Janeece said...

That is so sweet that he included you! I feel your pain! Daxton has good days and bad days too! I just keep reminding myself that someday I will miss this experience...haha!!