Friday, February 20, 2009

The Overstatement, Understatement, and Sweetest thing of the Year

OVERSTATEMENT:
The other day, I didn't feel like cooking dinner (this happens far more often than it should--in my defense, on this particular day, both Hyrum and Thobe had throwing up most of the day). Anyway, rather than suggesting that we go out for dinner, I boiled some water, threw a box of whole wheat spaghetti in the boiling water, and brought up a big container of Prego from the basement. I also believe I toasted some whole wheat bread for a full carbohydrate dinner (the Prego does say that a 1/2 a cup of spaghetti is the equivilent of a full serving a veggies--it doesn't mention in the healthy box that it also exceeds the recommended daily allowance of sodium, but I will just tell you about how healthful my meal was instead).

Anyway, Alden loves this meal--it's one of his favorite. After I scooped a generous portion of spaghetti noodles onto his plate, he eargerly grabbed the gigantic bottle of Prego and attempted to pour some onto his spaghetti. The sauce came out much more quickly than he anticipated, and before he knew it, he had approximately 10 servings of pureed veggies on his plate. He sheepishly looked at Michael and me with a worried look on his face. Michael's response was perfect. He said, "Ya got enough there, or do you need a little more?"

UNDERSTATEMENT:
As I mentioned above, Thobe and Hyrum got the flu (actually everyone but me has had it in one form or another). Sunday night was the worst for poor little Thobe. Michael and I had just settled down for the night and heard Thobe let out a pitiful wail. Michael ran in the bedroom and rushed him in the bathroom when he could see that Thobe was ready to give the old heave ho. After he finished throwing up, Thobe began to cry, sat down on the floor and yelled, "I did NOT want to do that!"

SWEETEST THING:
Hyrum got the flu first in our family. I guess that's why when Thobe got it, Hyrum was especially symphathic. On the day that Thobe was the sickest, Michael called me in the bathroom while Thobe was puking. Hyrum was in there rubbing poor sick Thobe's back. It was so, so cute.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Very cute stories. I am sorry you were all sick. Mom has to stay healthy sometimes to stay sane. :) Hope you are all feeling better.

Lisa Alger said...

Sorry to hear that you've all been sick. That's no fun - especially the throwing up part. I NEVER want to do that either. I try to avoid it al all costs.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to come visit in August. It would be so much fun.

Kristi said...

Sick kids are the worst. I always wish I could trade them places. I hope you are all getting well. Your boys are so cute. We love them all! I will be calling you to get together.

Becca said...

Oh! The back rubbing IS the sweetest thing.

I am going to copy your wordle thing--I love it! Only I won't write "Mondays"--I'll probably change it to "Renfroes" if that's okay.

Romy said...

I feel your pain. Emilia woke up sick on Saturday evening too. Same as your boys, throwing up, fever, body aches. It just breaks my heart! I hope they get feeling better soon.