Monday, March 17, 2008

"It's My Fault Also"


I'm not sure where it comes from, but for some reason, both Alden and Thobe have this very cute little accent. Everything that ends in the letter "O" has a cute little accent on it. I don't think Michael and I talk that way, and I imagine that Thobe learned it from Alden. Where Alden got it, I don't know for sure, actually, I have no idea. Either way, every time they do it, Michael and I smile at each other and often imitate it after they've gone to bed (what a romantic way to spend the evening after the kids go to bed).

Anyway, I digress. We are still having issues with Thobe and potty training. Some days he's a champion at it and other, days, like today, well to put it nicely, he stinks (literally). I'm going to digress again. I think it's so funny that now that I'm a parent that I spend a lot of time talking about bodily excrement to Michael and other parents (as tempting as it is, I try to not bore other people who are not going through the nightmare of potty training). We went out to dinner with our friends Cortney and Emily Bird Saturday night. Their kids are our kids age and have similar potty issues. While we were eating we talked our kids peeing their pants and pooping their pants. This was a couple that we knew while we were dating who were also dating each other at the time. It's funny that if you told me back then that 10 years from now that we'd be sitting down to have dinner together and would talk about pee and poop, I'd think that you were crazy and disgusting. Such is the life of parents of young children, I guess.

Anyway, back to today. We got back from running a lot of errands (one of which was visiting teaching, which always takes longer that I think it will). At our last stop, I asked Thobe if he needed to go to the bathroom or if he could wait until we got home. He said he could wait, so we quickly went home. However, when we got home, I forgot and ran a couple things in the house and quickly checked my email (I was expecting an important email regarding my sociology class and wanted to see if it was there yet). Anyway, I then hurried up to get the kids out of the car. When I got to the car, Hyrum was asleep, and Thobe was waiting patiently in his seat (he doesn't know how to unbuckle it). I apologized for leaving him there and reached back to unbuckle him. He then said, "I peed my pants, Mommy."

"Oh, Thobe," I apologized, "I'm so sorry I left you out here. I'm so sorry. It's my fault, Thobe."

Then in his cute little innocent voice, putting an accent on the "O," he responded, "Oh, Mommy. It's my fault also."

What a fun little guy! I really love him!


0 comments: