Friday, February 1, 2008

Those Dancing & Singing Mondays

When Michael and I first got married, he asked me not sing early in the morning. I tried to not sing "Wake Up the Neighborhood" to get him out of bed in the morning anymore and also tried to temper my urge to break forth in song while we ate breakfast. I guess that should have been an early warning sign to Michael that our kids would also like music. Not surprisingly, many of the songs they sing and the way they sing them are strongly influenced by their dad, although I suppose the frequency of their singing comes from me. Any visitor soon finds that we really like music in our house. Our entry way has a really high ceiling, and I love to sing at the top of my lungs while I walk down the stairs to hear my voice echo. I have embarrassed myself at least on one occasion that I know of when I was singing so loudly that I didn't hear the doorbell. Unfortunately, there was no question that our visitor heard me.


Alden is also a boisterous singer. We never have a question where he is because we can hear him singing and imagining loudly. He especially loves to sing when using the bathroom. He also has embarrassed himself when we've had company as well by doing this (what am I saying??? He has embarrassed us).




Thobe loves to sing Primary songs and fight songs. Every Monday night we have Family Home Evening where Thobe insists that we sing at least one of his favorite schools' fight songs and one Primary song. Thobe knows BYU's fight song, Ohio State's fight song, Toledo's fight song, Bowling Green's fight song, and even Michigan's fight song. I love to hear him sing them. He also loves "Scripture Power," "I Am a Child of God," "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree," and "Munka Munka Snowman" (a.k.a. "Once There Was A Snowman). He is always running around the house singing songs. I love it!



Hyrum is like a fly to a light when it comes to music. When he hears music, he stops whatever he's doing and starts bobbing his head. If it's a song that he recognizes or really likes, he starts moving his little body to the music. Soon his arms and legs and feet are all involved. I've never seen a baby as young as he is love music so much. It always makes me laugh.



The following is a very fun clip of the boys singing and dancing. We've got Thobe singing parts of the Ohio State and BYU fight song, and we've got all the boys singing to and dancing to our favorite CD--The New Christy Minstrels' "Tell Tall Tales & Land of Giants." It is an awesome CD that has lots of traditional folklore songs and some really great patriotic songs too. Michael's mom gave us the CD, and we love it! Alden "whistles" to Johnny Appleseed and the three of the boys love hammering with John Henry (you'll have to excuse my annoying laugh during this part of the clip--I just couldn't help myself). You think they're ready to be the next Jackson 3?

2 comments:

Becca said...

Where's the clip? My boys love tall tales, too--the John Henry song gets stuck in my head all the time. I love the fight songs, and muncha muncha snowman. So cute!

Lora said...

You will have to teach me the BGSU Fight Song! All we know around our house is the Cougar Fight Song. Your boys are adorable, it looks like you have a lot of fun together!