Monday, January 28, 2008

Michael & Melissa in January

Michael and I are staying really busy. We love being parents. Spending time together and with our boys is our favorite thing to do. We are also enjoying a few other ventures. Michael LOVES his job! It is really going well. He is super busy with a huge variety of projects and challenges. He is the only attorney for his company, and they keep him really busy. He really likes the people he works with and got his first raise (it keeps us current with inflation--but we're not complaining)!!!!! Every morning, he also gets up bright and early and teaches his seminary class (a Bible study class for kids in our church who are in high school--9th grade through 12th grade). They've been studying the Old Testament this year and have had a lot of neat experiences. Not surprisingly, Michael has established a great relationship with each of his 15 kids and really loves this volunteer work that he does. A few weeks ago, he got pulled over at 5:50 a.m. on his way to his class. The police officer claimed that Michael didn't stop at the stop sign and asked him where he was going at this hour of the morning. When Michael told him that he was going to teach a Bible study, the officer let him go without further ado. As Michael puts it, he found that there are excuses that work and excuses that don't work. Apparently, on your way to teach Bible study is an excuse that does work--at least in Lima, Ohio.


If you can't tell, I love being a mom. I keep really busy with the kids. In addition to all the rewarding and not so rewarding (i.e., cleaning the bathrooms and doing the laundry) responsibilities of being a stay-at-home mom, I try to volunteer each week at Alden's school (I love doing that--I especially love seeing Alden in his element at school). I also teach a sort of preschool called Joy School for Thobe every other week for two days a week. It is so much fun to see Thobe learn and grow in that. I also teach music to the Primary kids (kids who are 18 months to 11 years old) at church. I have had so much fun with this calling and have really grown to love all the kids at our church. This month, I began teaching an online sociology course for Rhodes College, a small community college around the corner from our house. I love doing this. I have especially enjoyed reviewing all the materials and remembering why I chose to get my masters degree in sociology. It is fascinating material--even the 101 stuff. I've really enjoy this venture and am excited to be back in the teaching field. It's really fun.

We also want to recognize the passing of our beloved prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. We are so grateful for the things that he taught us and the service he rendered to our Church. We are grateful that he can now join his wife that passed away several years ago but will miss his encouraging words and uplifting smile. We know that he led and directed our Church through our Savior Jesus Christ who stands at its Head. We know that our next prophet President Thomas S. Monson will also receive direct revelation through Jesus Christ and will lead us and direct us. We are grateful to have a living prophet on the Earth.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. :) You and your family are awesome.

Becca said...

Sociology? I didn't know that you majored in that. Sounds like you're staying super busy, Melissa--but I'm so glad you're not too busy to start a blog! Yay! Now we'll be best bed-breaking blogger buddies.