Thursday, February 28, 2008

I've got a sad face

Today when we got back from picking Alden up from school, we had quite the zoo. Thobe was asleep and wet his pants (ugggh), Hyrum was screaming because he hasn't been feeling well, and as usual, I was reminding Alden to get all of his stuff from school and to put it away in the house (teaching responsibility to a five-year old boy is difficult). In the meantime, I tried to carefully lift Thobe out of his car seat to keep him asleep without touching his wet pants (yes, I am a mom, but I still am not fond of being covered in bodily discretions). Unfortunately lifting 32 pounds of dead weight is not easily done when crawling on one's knees and trying to only carry the top portion of a child. Needless to say, Thobe woke up crying, partly because I was carrying him crazily and partly because he was soaking wet. I laid him down on top of a towel on the floor, thinking he might fall back to sleep, and then tried to get my sick baby to sleep. Unfortunately, none of my desires where achieved, and Thobe cried for awhile, and Hyrum didn't go to sleep either. When I realized that Thobe also needed comforting and that Hyrum was not going to go to sleep, I went downstairs with a clean pair of underwear and pants and tried talking to Thobe. He was happy to see me until he saw the pants that I wanted him to wear. He told me that he want to wear great big pants, not those pants. Exasperated, I told him that he needed to find his own pants. Again he threw himself on the ground, and the crying ensued once more. We then had the following conversation:

Me: Thobe, it lo
oks to me like you need a hug.

Crying subsides to a small whimper. I give him a big hug.

Thobe: Mommy, I've got a very sad face.

Me: Let me see.

He indeed had a very sad face, and I hugged him again.

Me: Oh you do have a sad face!

Thobe: Yes, Mommy, I have a sad face. I want to have a happy face.

Me: I want you to have a happy face too.

Thobe: Sniff. Sniff. Ohhh, I have a happy face now, Mommy, look!

I looked down onto tear stained cheeks and a great, big happy smile and sparkling eyes. For those of you who know Thobe, he really has a smile that lights up the whole room. Oh, how I love that happy face!

As I'm writing this, I hear another very interesting monologue coming from Thobe. He says:

"Satan.... Satan..... Oh, I don't like Satan. Satan is bad. Satan is a friend of the Lamanites. We don't like Satan!"

I'm glad that we got that straight.

2 comments:

Linds said...

oh my goodness I laughed so hard about Thobe's comment about Satan that I SNORTED! lol! he's got it right on! that is SOOOO funny!

Becca said...

Those poor Lamanites . . . Truman calls the pirates on Swiss Family Robinson "the Lamanties."