Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Start of School

 
Summer went by too quickly for me. It's amazing how having a baby and a couple road trips can really zap a summer. All in all, I felt like this was a really great break and am sad to see it end. I really love having the boys home with me, and although I probably get after them more than I should, I love those boys to pieces and hate to have them away from home. Nonetheless, I also feel that they need socialization and an education, so for our family, I feel like the local public school meets those needs right now for them, at least for the most part. So on August 31, 2009, I got Alden & Thobe up to get ready for school. Alden was actually getting on the bus, and Thobe practiced for Wednesday (he had to wait a couple days--Kindergarten started a couple days later). 

Alden started second grade this year. I'm so excited about his teacher, Mrs. Hempleman. She has been teaching for a long time and has all sorts of innovative ideas that she tries. I'm really, really impressed with her, and Alden thinks she's great! I like that she does a lot of projects as well as expects her students to improve daily. Alden is also thrilled that his best friend Jack is in his class and sits right in front of him. I think this will be a great motivator for Alden. I'm really excited about this. It's hard to believe that my little Alden is a second grader now. It's so weird when your child is doing the things that you remember doing yourself. I'm so proud of Alden and really appreciate the good boy that he tries to be. He's a great big brother and a really, really good kid. I'm so excited for him this year.

Incredibly, my little Thobe starts Kindergarten this year. It's so hard to believe that he's old enough to go. Thobe is incredibly smart. He knows things that amaze me that I have no idea how he knows them. He's a good reader when he wants to be and loves doing math. We have had some potty training issues with Thobe, and frustratingly, a few days before school started, he started having accidents again. I figured it was probably anxiety issues, but I didn't know. I called his teacher who indicated that they would just work with us and figure something out. I was very worried about it, so worried that I didn't even think that my little Thobe was starting kindergarten. It was funny, the night before I put him on the bus, Michael and I were reading Scriptures, and it hit me, "Thobe starts school tomorrow." My heart suddenly broke in two. I thought about all the things that I wished I had done better with him. I wished that I wouldn't have to send him because I knew that although a new and exciting chapter was beginning in his life, that another chapter was closing--the chapter that had me as the center of his universe. I mourned the fact that I had spent so much time worrying about his bathroom issues that I didn't savor those last moments of him just being a little boy. Fortunately, that next morning we were in such a rush---we were running behind anyway and then the bus came early, that I didn't have time to cry before he left. I watched him get on that big yellow bus with his brother, who was very excited to show his little brother the ropes, and then went in the house. I was feeling a sad but knew that things would be okay. Then Michael said, "Wow. I can't believe Thobe's in Kindergarten. I remember holding that little guy in my arms when he was brand new..." I lost it at that point. I think part of the reason it's hard is because he didn't get Mrs. Curl, Alden's Kindergarten teacher. I don't know how things will be with Mr. Hillery, Thobe's kindergarten teacher, but I hope that it will be fine. Mr. Hillery has expressed some frustration to me about Thobe, which concerns me somewhat, but I am going to work really hard to make Thobe's kindergarten experience as good as Alden's was. I hope it will be!!!
Anyway, school is back in session. I pray that God will bless my boys with what they need as they continue their quest to manhood.

 
 

0 comments: