Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Fun Father's Day





My friend, Laura Talbot, gave me this idea. She put the pictures in a three framed picture frame and had her girls hold the letters D A D. Since we have one on the way, I decided to have my boys spell Papi and put them in a four framed picture frame. It was really fun to give these pictures to Michael.

Anyway, our family had a fun day celebrating Father's Day. We went to church and then came home and gave Michael this picture frame, a BYU flag, and a Brita water filter. We also gave him a hook to hang a bird feeder on (he loves watching birds in the morning when he's eating his breakfast). We then took a quick nap, and then went to Toledo to celebrate Father's Day with Michael's dad. Chris is out of town, so we took a roast, potatoes, and corn, and stuff to make a cherry pie, which I made when we got up there. While we were there, we called my dad and wished him a Happy Father's Day. Hyrum insistently told Grandpa that he is 5. It was fun.

I am so thankful for days like Father's Day that allow me to reflect on the blessings of Fathers. I think of my grandfathers--my Grandpa Thomas and Grandpa Humphries. I think of their lives and all they did for me. It's really interesting that since they've passed away, I feel them close to me. I'm so grateful for the knowledge that I have that this life isn't the end, and that because of Jesus Christ that I can be with them forever. I know that they live and that someday, I will see them again.

Also on Father's Day, I think of my Dad. He's such a good man. I love him so much. I'm so thankful for all the things that he taught me when I was growing up and that he still continues to teach me. I love that I can call him for advice and chat with him for hours. I'm so lucky to be his daughter. I also think of Michael's dad who has become a second father to me. I really am thankful for him and all he does for me and my family.

Over the past seven years, fatherhood has taken on a new meaning for me as I've watched Michael assume the role as the father of our children. He is so amazing. I often wish that I could be the kind of parent that he is. He's so patient, consistent, loving, playful and incredible with our boys. There is no doubt in my mind that our kids are as amazing as they are because of Michael. The kids go crazy the moment that Michael walks in the door and yells, "Amigos!" I think so often parents are either their children's friend or parent and have a hard time finding the happy medium. Michael doesn't. He really knows where the line is and never crosses it. I really can't say eniough about what a terrific dad Michael is and how grateful I am that I get to be his wife. I really love him!!!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Wonderful post! This was fun to read. Unfortunately with our vacation last week, Father's Day was sort of snubbed. We were driving through D.C. while I was throwing up and decided to just head towards home. Josh really got jipped this year.

By the way - we are really hoping for a text, phone call, something tomorrow!!!! We need to know whether to buy pink or blue!!! :) Good luck!

Kristi said...

I am just curious if I can borrow that flag? I just noticed that our toilet is overflowing and I really need something to clean it up with. I am all out of Quest for perfection tee shirts which is disappointing because they really soak up the crap well.

Anyway, Happy Fathers day Mike.

P.S. If this offends you in any way just start wearing red and you will feel better.