Monday, November 10, 2008

It's Cryptonite

I have so much to update here on my blog, but I thought this story was so funny, that I didn't want to not write it. Today, Alden stayed home from school with a cough and cold (it's really hard for me to tell when I should keep him home--even when he's sick, he's really good natured). Anyway, so today we were watching Sesame Street (another confession--I found that if I record Sesame Street, I can turn it on in my bedroom when I get tired, close the door to trap my boys, and have them watch TV while I sleep for one hour--it works especially nicely with my distructo Hyrum who I recently discovered will, like a brain-dead monkey, sit in front of the television for a very long time without getting into trouble, which is a very nice thing because I thought before he turned two he was adventurous and curious, I had no idea--anyway, that is for another post). So today on Sesame Street, Elmo came on with his friend, Christopher Reeve. This was filmed, clearly before Christopher Reeve's death but also after his cripling accident. During the summer, Alden and I found the old Superman starring Christopher Reeve in the library and watched it at home in our Clearplay (another thing that I love to have, although we don't use it a ton because we don't watch a lot of movies). Anyway, I told Alden that Elmo's friend was actually Superman from the movie that we watched during the summer. I told him he had some kind of accident, but I couldn't remember what had happened to him.

"He got Cryptonite on him, Mom. That's what happened to him," Alden so knowingly explained.

"No, Alden, he had an accident."

"Yeah, Mom, with Cryptonite."

"Oh," I said, and left it at that. I don't think anything that I could say would convince him otherwise.

2 comments:

Becca said...

These boys. They have all the answers regarding superheroes.

Very funny, Meliss!

Emily said...

Alden is so tenderhearted and sweet and very hard to pursuade into another opionion but his own. He's amazing. I love all your kids and miss you all. I hope we can stay in touch better also. Its been fun.