Thursday, October 16, 2008

Our Super Saturday

Several months ago, Michael's dad bought tickets for Michael and himself to go to The Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan, to watch his Toledo Rockets play the Buckeye's rival, the Michigan Wolverines. The Monday before the game, Warren (Michael's dad/grandpa) called and said that due to the Rockets' embarrassing performance the previous week that he no longer wanted to go to the game in Michigan, especially since the Rockets were by far the underdog. He told Michael that he could give the extra ticket to someone else. At first we thought it would be a very fun date for the two of us until we remembered that Alden had a flag football game. Normally, we would just let that slide; however, the previous week, Alden decided that he wasn't going to try and just stood out on the field. We told him that we didn't care if he was good at football, but we did expect him to try. We also told him that he needed to try in his last two games, so we felt like someone needed to take him to his game. As I've explained many, many times, Thobe is a huge sports' fan, and Michael and I both knew that being able to go to a game at Michigan's stadium with his Dad would be a very, very cool thing for him. On Friday morning we told the boys what was going to happen. Alden was surprisingly happy about the arrangement, especially when I told him that he and I would do fun things together, including go to McDonald's playland and have a Happy Meal (both the boys think Happy Meals are so much better than Sad Meals, the kind of meal that you get when you don't get a toy). Thobe of course was thrilled! Unfortunately for Thobe, Warren called that afternoon and told Michael that he decided that he did want to go. After doing a little research, Michael found that he could likely get a ticket for cheap from scalpers, and Grandpa generously offered to pick up the cost. So that night, we went up to Toledo to spend the night.


The next day, they got up bright and early to meet the bus that was taking Grandpa, Mike, and Thobe to the pregame party and game. Thobe was estatic! He was really excited about going to see the Toledo Rockets play in the Big House. From what I understand, he was the star of the party. People gave him treats and footballs and all sorts of things. Michael snagged a few people to take their picture, and the highlight of the whole trip for Thobe was when he and Grandpa got to go and meet the new Rocky the Rocket. Of course, the highlight of the game for Dad and Grandpa was when Toledo, the definite underdog, pulled off the victory. Michael came home completely hoarse from yelling and cheering and screaming. Thobe had a big smile on his face for the rest of the evening. He just looked so, so happy! I was especially pleased that he got to spend one-on-one time with his dad and grandpa. Even though he's only 4, I'm sure it's a day that he'll never forget.


After a nice sleeping in morning in Toledo, Alden, Hyrum, and I headed back for Lima. We ate a quick lunch and then went to Alden's football game. When Alden was in, he played really hard. He even got the ball once, and even though he ran the wrong way, he made a good effort! I don't think we're going to have any college football scouts knocking down our door in a few years from now, but I'm really proud of Alden for trying. Of course the highlight of Alden's day was going to McDonald's Playland. He did remind me that it was the Playland that gave him stitches but decided that he was willing to take a risk. We really had fun. I played air hockey for a short time with Alden, who can tell you that he can beat a grown-up at air hockey (which he can by the way--unfortunately for him, the grown-up that he can beat is me), and I played air hockey for a long time with Hyrum. Whenever the puck went in his hole he would cheer like crazy. It was pretty hilarious. After that, the boys and I played basketbal ran into a bunch of walls on a skateboard video game, and for the first time maybe ever I went up in one of structures that you'll find in almost any McDonalds' playland. I must admit that I was hesitant. After all, usually when I think of my children playing in these configurations of chaos, I admittedly cringe a bit. Too many times when I've poked my head into the cacophony to make the dreaded announcement that it's time to go home, I've caught wiffs of urine and who knows what else that have convinced me that such a palace of play is merely a gross gathering of germs instead. Despite my interpridation, I joined Hyrum and Alden and now understand why they love those places so much. Not only were there holes to climb through and obstacles to climb up there was a smorgasbord of fun things to do. I had a great time, oh yeah, and I think the kids did too!

We of course were all excited to be reunited again that evening, but it was a pretty terrific day for everyone.

2 comments:

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

I don't know what was more fun that day the guys getting to see the professionals play football, or you watching Alden play? I find watching those little ones play football...way more entertaining!

Leigh said...

What a fun day for your family:) one to remember!