Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Dragon

The dragon sits upon his face

The steam rolls in and out

Poor Hyrum squirms and kicks and cries

And then he starts to pout.

As big old tears well in his eyes

He looks up to ask me why

Must this torture continue on,

Again he starts to cry.

The TV calms the tempertantrums;

The dragon starts to sputter.

His breathing sounds much better now

The dragon cleaned the clutter.


Hyrum's breathing treatment made me think

About my own life too

When seeming dragons keep me from

The things I want to do.

Steam from my dragon clouds my view

I feel trapped and very sad

I kick, I pout, I question why

And sometimes I feel mad.

Prayer always calms my tempertantrums

Answers aren't always quick

But I find if I am patient then

My dragon's done his trick.

Another rough edge is rounded off

My dragon did his cleaning--

I understand a little more

About God and my life's meaning.


I'm happy to report after an unpleasant bout of pneumonia that our little Hyrum seems to be on the up and up. I don't know if it has been harder on me or on him, but let's just say that we are both really, really happy that he's back to his playful, happy self and are all gearing up for his second birthday in a week from today.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am on the phone with Sharon and we both are like no way 2 already? I hope he keeps getting better and better!

kieran said...

Did you write that? You are so talented! It is so nice that a prayer can calm us and make us feel better. I watched a scary movie before bed that spooked me, one little prayer helped me fall asleep. It's good to know there is always some one there watching out for us! Are you doing something special for the party?

Live well, Laugh often, Love much ~Maria said...

You are so creative! How do you find the energy to come up with stuff like that. My mind always has a million things going through it...that I would have a difficult time focusing enough to write poetry. You amaze me!

Kristi said...

I love it! That is so neat. Thanks for the inspiration. I often enjoy my pity parties a little too much.