Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Three Fs--Furniture, Flowers, Fun

Michael and I, since the day we were married, have been, well frugal is a nice word, but let's face it, we're cheapies. We didn't get a cell phone until a couple years ago. We told people that we didn't want to be slaves to our cell phones, but in all actuality, we just didn't want to pay another bill. We always try to get the best deal on something. I have a difficult time buying anything unless I've researched it to death and feel like I'm getting a good deal on it. Our philosophy has been if it works, why replace it? Michael drove his 1992 Ford Tempo that he got when he got home from his mission until just last year. It worked some of the time. When he worked in his big Vegas firm one of his co-workers, who Michael was giving a ride to a meeting or lunch, told him, "Mike the man who drives this old thing is a man that is very comfortable with who he is." He may have been trying to be nice, but Michael knew that he was pointing out a fact that he already knew, we're cheap. Anyway, this needlessly long introduction leads us to our furniture. Our main furniture set has been the furniture that Michael had in law school. Don't get me wrong--it is a fine couch and love seat, and something that I've grown very fond of; however, from all our moving around and from three little boys, this set has seen better days. When we moved into our house, we felt it was time to get new furniture and asked the people moving us in to move the couch and love seat into our basement. The love seat went down rather difficultly, so much that the love seat movers seriously doubted that they'd be able to get the couch down, which actually was a good thing. After a year of having the love seat in the basement and a beat up old couch in the living room upstairs, Michael and I bought our first furniture as a couple. Hooray! We have been eying this particular set for over a year now and finally got it for a deal that we could live with. We are so excited about it. The room isn't exactly how we want it yet, but I thought I'd post a few of the pictures of our first major furniture purchase as a couple. Maybe we can trick a few people into believing that we're not as cheap as we actually are.




Also on Mother's Day, Michael got me two BEAUTIFUL flower baskets to hang on our front porch. I really think it adds to our house and LOVE them! When we were driving away to go to church on Sunday morning, I was expressing my delight at their beauty. My sweet little Alden piped up from the back, "Those flowers are so beautiful, Mom, just like you!" I'm so lucky to have my family. I really love them!!!!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Furniture looks great. Lets just hope the boys take good care of it!!

Kristi said...

Wow! Beautiful furniture. Worth the wait, I'm sure! The flowers are great, too. Isn't it fun to make your home beautiful? Looks like a wonderful mother's day!

Linds said...

I'm echoing Kristi... WOW! :) It looks beautiful! furniture and flowers both! I love that set! It's really pretty. That's exciting for you guys

Erin said...

Your house is gorgeous!!

I love the brick front. And the furniture is beautiful too.