Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Thobe

On May 23, 2008, Thobe Allen Monday turned 4 years old. I can't believe that he is 4 years old now. He is such a funny boy. He really amazes me. He has also done really well learning Spanish. His vocabulary in both languages really impresses me. I just think he's a phenomenal kid.


Thobe had a really great birthday this year. We all got up early and had him open his presents. He got a lot of Superman clothes and pajamas (Superman is his favorite super hero), an Iron Man toy that Alden got him with his own money, and a little kitty cat that meows whenever you pet it. Thobe loved the cat and named it kitty cat (a rather creative namer as you can see--he also has another cat that his Sunbeams teacher gave him that he named Gato--cat in Spanish). He takes his cats everywhere and likes to pretend that he's a cat too. I love to hear him meow and meow. I made another attempt at a superhero cake and made a Superman cake with a Superman cupcakes. Perhaps my favorite present that he got was one from Alden. Alden used his birthday money to buy his brother an Iron Man toy. I think Thobe as thrilled to get it as Alden was to give it.

Later that morning, Michael had a meeting in Columbus. We all piled in the car with him and drove down there too. We went to COSI, a huge children's science museum, while Daddy went to his meeting. The boys had a great time, especially at the Kid Play area. After that, we checked into a hotel with a big swimming pool. For some reason, I forgot to pack Michael's swimming suit, so while he went shopping with Hyrum for a swimming suit, the boys and I went swimming. We were having a fun time in the FREEZING cold water until I turned around and saw Alden struggling to stay afloat. I'm not completely sure what happened, but I am sure that it terrified both of us. He held on to me tighter than he ever has before. For some reason after that, Alden wanted to get out, so we met Michael up in the hotel room and went out to eat at the California Pizza Kitchen (this was probably more of a Happy Birthday dinner for Mom and Dad rather than Thobe, but I think we all had a nice time). When we got back to the hotel, Alden & I went down to the lobby to see if they had some sort of crib for Hyrum. While I was waiting to talk to the attendant, Alden said to the guy next to us, "I almost drowned today." The guy didn't hear him, so Alden turned to me and gave me a big hug and said, "Mom, you're my hero because you saved me. Thank you, Mom!" Although Alden has said a whole lot of endearing things to me, this was by far the sweetest. I don't know that I've ever been a hero before.

The next morning, Michael and I took the kids to our friends The Ballstaeds' house and then we went to the temple (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints has temples where members who meet special requirements go to make covenants with God and do service in behalf of others. There are few places on the Earth where I feel the peace I feel when I go to the temple. For more information, go to http://www.lds.org/temples/purpose/0,11298,1897-1,00.html)
We had a really nice time and the kids, as always, enjoyed spending time with the Ballstaed girls.

After that, we drove to Toledo where Grandpa and Abuelita were waiting to wish Thobe happy birthday. They gave Thobe a toy called "Baseball Guys." It has a mat that is shaped like a baseball diamond and then has a scoreboard and a bunch of little baseball players that you can set on the field. Whenever Thobe plays with it, he doesn't want to do anything else. It doesn't matter what other alternative he has, he says, "No, I want to watch my baseball game." I can only imagine what he sees in his mind. He loves the toy. The only thing comparable to his Baseball guys that day was going to a real baseball game where we got to see the Toledo Mudhens. Grandpa somehow got both Alden and Thobe's birthday on the big board and arranged to have Muddy come over and wish Thobe a Happy Birthday. I can't imagine anything much better than that for Thobe. He was absolutely thrilled.

Hyrum found a new friend at the game--a twenty something girl that sat a few seats down from us. For some reason, Hyrum took a real liking to her and only wanted to sit with her. Michael thought he would tease Alden a little and said, "Oh look, Alden, Hyrum found a new mom." This did not set well with Alden. He marched right over to the girl, grabbed Hyrum from her lap, told her that Hyrum was our baby, and then wobbily yet determined marched right back with one arm wrapped tightly around Hyrum's belly and the other wrapped around his neck. We all got quite a kick out of that.

I hope Thobe knows how glad we are that he is in our family and how much we love him. His laid back happy manner brightens our day and reminds us not to take things quite so seriously. He is such a blessing in our lives, and I love him with all my heart! Happy Birthday, Thobs.











0 comments: