Friday, June 1, 2012

The Tortise and the Hare

Thobe is an amazing kid. He is always saying and doing things that catch me off guard. From the time he's been very young, he has made some very interesting, humorous, and mature connections. For example when he was 5 years old, we were in the grocery store. He read a magazine that was featuring someone from The Biggest Loser. He read the words "Biggest Loser" aloud, and then laughed and said, "Hey, Mom, did you ever hear of the smallest winner?

The past two days have been no exception to Thobe's ability to play on words and make quick calculations. This morning when I woke the boys up, Alden bolted out of bed, as usual, and Thobe slowly stirred and moaned that to indicate that he wasn't interested in getting out of bed, also as usual. I persisted, racking my brain for some motivation to get him moving. I said, "Hey, Thobe, you only have 20 days left of school. Get up and enjoy one of your last days of school." He tiredly looked at me from the corner of his nearly closed eye and tiredly mumbled, "We have 180 days of school, so this must mean that today is my 160th day. Is that right, Mom?" I was impressed.

Last night, he made a comment that both shocked and amused Michael and me. Earlier that day, we we were driving through our friends' neighborhood and saw a turtle walking down the middle of the road. We stopped in the middle of the road and made sure all the kids saw the turtle. We all gave our appropriate Oooos and ahhhs, the boys told us some fact they knew about turtles that I didn't know (they are really into animals right now, especially dinosaurs), and then we drove on. Later that evening we were driving home. A rabbit ran out in front of us, and Michael said, "Don't let me run over you, Little Bunny." The boys all strained their necks to try and see the rabbit. Alden said he saw it, and then Thobe said, "I saw the tortise, but I didn't see the hare." He then giggled, and Michael and I laughed out loud. I would have never thought to say something like that, but he did. That's what he does. He's growing up so fast!

0 comments: