Monday, April 23, 2012

The Winning Ticket

Jacob is always into doing whatever his brothers are doing. He loves copying them and following them around the house. He is a bit of tease with them as well, but I think for the most part, everyone enjoys having Jacob shadow them around the house.

Jacob and Hyrum have a very interesting relationship. They are the best of friends, but they are also very competitive with each other. If Hyrum says he's tired, Jacob says, "No, I'm tired." There are many arguments over simply who is going to say what and who gets which toys. I always find myself shaking my head when it comes to prayer time, and the two boys start arguing about who is going to say the prayer. Many Pentacostal-like prayers are offered at our house where we have two boys offering different prayers at the same time.

So this competive edge that exists in our house, especially between Hyrum and Jacob, sets the stage for my post. Just last weekend, I finally got through the last remaining boxes in our garage. In the box, I found one of the bags that I used to take to church that was equipped with items that I might need to keep Jacob quiet. One of those items was a green sippy cup that I bought and threw in there and then never used. I threw the cup out of the bag and left it on the countertop. The next day, Jacob discovered the cup and excitedly brought it to me to put something in it for him to drink. I unscrewed the lid, handed him the cup, and told him I would put water in it as soon as I finished folding that load of laundry (if I don't fold the laundry immediately, it doesn't get done for many days). Jacob took the cup and started to walk away. Before leaving the laundry room, Jacob stopped dead in his tracks. He carefully lifted the lid of the cup and pulled out the instructions to care for the cup. A shreak of pleasure erupted from his little body.

"Look at that, Mom! Look at that!" he exclaimed. "I won! I won!"

Who would have thought that simple care instructions for a sippy cup could make someone's day that much better?